Organic Seed Growers and Trade Association Purpose:
OSGATA develops, protects and promotes the organic seed trade and its growers,
and assures that the organic community has access to excellent quality organic seed,
free of contaminants and adapted to the diverse needs of local organic agriculture.
OSGATA Policy on Organic Seed Contaminated by Genetically Engineered (GE) Seed
GE contamination of organic seed constitutes irreparable harm to the organic seed industry and undermines the integrity of organic seed. Crops grown from contaminated seed will ultimately yield a contaminated product. Any detectable level is unacceptable.
OSGATA Policy on GE Contamination of Seed Used in Organic Production Under Commercial Availability Exemption
Non-organic seed of varieties at-risk of GE contamination, used in organic production, must be demonstrated to be free of detectable GE content. Any detectable level is unacceptable.
Our Code of Ethics
1. No Member shall knowingly deal in products that are falsely labeled organic or represented as such, nor engage in any advertising that is false or misleading.
2. Given the risk of contamination and/or commingling of germplasm from genetically engineered organisms with organic seed stock, along with the potential weakening of end user confidence in organic seed integrity from such contamination, no member shall knowingly grow, sell, distribute, or breed GE (Genetically Engineered) seeds or products.
3. All members shall cooperate in the development of the market for organic seed and compete with each other in an honest and friendly fashion.
4. All members shall cooperate in the development of an organic seed system which enhances life and health, is ecologically and economically sustainable, and gives a fair return and dignity to its producers, handlers and merchants.
5. A Member in his/ her personal conduct and in his/ her contacts with customers and the public should not behave in a manner which brings discredit to OSGATA or himself/ herself.